Monday, May 9, 2011

Portsmouth to Solomons Island

We left Ocean Marine Yacht Center Saturday morning. Our destination for the day and night was Parks Marina on Tangier Island. This has been a bucket list destination for me for many many years. I was  very excited and giddy to finally be on my way to my Nana's favorite stop on the Chesapeake Bay. I could not have ask for a better Mother's Day present. After our brief stay of 24 hours I realized why people visit and fall in love with Tangier Island. It is a quaint quiet spot with less than 5 vehicles on the Island. Everyone walks, uses scooters, golf carts, and of course boats for getting around. I have to say I would love to spend more time on the Island and enjoy their Island way of life. The only way to visit Tangier is by boat whether it is your own or by ferry boat leaving Reedville, VA.

On our way up the Chesapeake Bay Andrew and I spotted 2 tankers at anchor and decided to see what the distance was between the 2 tankers. We had time on our hands and it was a fun experiment. The anchors are 1 mile apart. For me it was an excellent way to learn how far a mile really is on the water.  As you can see the Chesapeake Bay is nice and flat. What a dream day to travel.

Tangier Island

Waterman's home away from home

Walkway to the beach




The boys are exploring the marsh area.

The Island is full of Cats.As I pulled out my camera 5 cats left the front gate. These are the ones who stuck around. Thankfully, Max could care less about cats and ignored them. 

 Family plots are in the front yards of some homes. This plot was next to the church. Some of the tombstones go back to the early 1800's, pretty cool and creepy at the same time.





The only pleasure boat marina on the Island

Sunrise Sunday Morning

Ferry boat bringing tourist to the island.


 On Sunday afternoon we left Tangier and headed to Solomons Island in Maryland. 
Chesapeake Bay south of Solomons Island. The clouds and sun made a spectacular scene. As you can see the water is calm for our second day of travel.


Sunset over the entrance to Solomons Island.

No comments:

Post a Comment